Search This Blog

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Mooyah Burgers and Fries - May 9, 2011

This week's burger quest took us the newest location of Mooyah Burgers and Fries on Northwest Highway just west of Hillcrest Road. Mooyah is a fast casual Dallas based burger chain that serves burgers, fries and shakes. When you enter the restaurant, signs encourage guests to place their order before finding a seat and guests are directed to a counter with pens and menu pads. Options for burgers include a one patty or two patty beef burger, turkey burger or a veggie burger and all burgers are served on a choice of fresh baked white or wheat buns. I ordered a double burger with cheddar cheese, grilled onions, bacon and mayonnaise, a small fry (enough for one according to the menu) and a drink for $11.32. After paying for my order, the cashier called out the number of patties and they were then placed on the flat-top griddle by the cook. I filled my drink cup and about five minutes later, my name and number were called and when I went to the counter to pick up my order, a fry container was dropped into the bag and then filled with fries as I watched. Sitting down at my table, I pulled out an aluminum foil wrapped burger and then opened the following burger:



Two thin slices of bacon were placed on the bottom bun which was then topped with the two patties and two slices of cheese. Diced grilled onions were then placed on the top slice of cheese and a small layer of mayonnaise was smeared on the top bun. Taking a bite, I could taste the fresh beef and the flavor of the fresh baked bun. The patties were lightly seasoned with salt and pepper and were cooked well done. I am not sure you could cook them any other way due to their size. The cheddar cheese had a very mild flavor and complimented the overall flavor of the burger. The bacon on the burger was crispy but the slices were too small to add much flavor to the burger. The onions had been diced before caramelizing and added a slightly crunchy texture and a nice taste to each bite of the burger. Next the bun was probably the highlight of the burger, it was light and fluffy and perfectly proportioned to the burger. Finally the fries at Mooyah are fresh cut every day in house. They are a thicker cut fry and after frying they are dusted with a house blend of salt, pepper, a little sugar and some other spices. I thought they had a good flavor but had a little too much salt for my tastes.


Overall I thought Mooyah Burgers and Fries presented a pretty good fast casual burger. The meat for the patties and the bun were very fresh and had a good flavor in each bite; however, the burger didn't wow me as being a unique burger. While I liked the idea of cooking the patties to order and using a house baked bun, the burger did not stand out to me especially at the price point. If I was with a group of people who wanted to eat at Mooyah, I would gladly tag along and enjoy another burger.


Ratings (1-25:)


Bun - 21, fresh and fluffy, good flavor, held up to a double meat burger


Meat - 18, fresh beef, seasoned well, thin style patties


Appearance - 19, nice contrast of cheese meat and bun


Taste - 18, good beef flavors and representation of fast food style burger


Overall - 76
Mooyah Burgers & Fries on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment