Search This Blog

Thursday, October 15, 2009

JG's Burgers - October 14, 2009

Yesterday's burger quest took us to JG's Hamburgers just north of Forest Lane on Greenville Avenue. JG's has been cooking burgers, chicken sandwiches and salads for over 20 years. When you walk in you notice the condiment bar along with a handwritten menu on chalkboards hanging from the ceiling. The kitchen is in the middle of the restaurant right behind the cash registers. The lunch special yesterday was a 1/3 pound cheeseburger with fries and a drink. Other options for sides included onion rings and tator tots. I ordered a bacon cheddar burger with fries and a drink. You could see the flattop while paying for the order and it was a nice sight of buns toasting and burgers cooking. I paid for my order and was given a number. We filled up our drink glasses and sat down to wait for our orders. About ten minutes later, my number was called and I was given a basket with an undressed burger and a side of fries. I put the mayo on it that I wanted then sat down to enjoy this:




The bacon on my burger was nice and crispy but was a little sparse. The cheddar cheese was melted nicely on top of the patty and the highlight was the golden brown crispy buttered bun. I took a bite and the flavors of bacon and beef and cheddar all blended together. The bun held up nicely to the large patty that was cooked medium well. The fries were crispy and fried perfectly. French fries were thick cut and the onion rings were large rings of onion that had been breaded and then fried. I thought the bite of onion ring I had was very good.


Overall the burger was well done and ingredients were fresh but it really didn't wow me or turn me off like some of the other burgers that we have tried. I would definately go back to JG's if I was in the area but I don't think that I would go out of my way to return.


Ratings (1-25):


Bun - 21, nicely buttered and toasted


Meat - 18, well cooked patty, flavorful, bacon was crispy but sparse


Appearance - 18, good looking burger, fresh ingredients


Taste - 19, ingredients were fresh and well seasoned, cheddar was good


Overall - 76


Bonus pic of cheddar burger with grilled jalapenos and onion rings:

J.G.'s Old Fashioned Hamburgers on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I think I got the extra bacon from Rob's because my bacon, cheddar, jalapeno burger was loaded with bacon. Goes to show that the product can always vary a bit. I do prefer a little thicker patty and, of course, medium rare, but this was a good burger overall and I enjoyed it.

    MediumRare

    ReplyDelete